Monday, January 4, 2010

Home

When I turned down that road
it was by accident, but somehow
I knew it was right.
It was like an answer
blurted out in the drop of a moment,
unexpectedly containing truth.
"Stop," he said, "we should have
gone the other way,"
but I couldn't stop,
not with destiny breathing down my neck
on the hairpin turns,
not with every jolt of the dirt road
scattering sparks along my spine.
He clung to the other side of the car,
almost wretched,
afraid of my search's intensity.
Still, I pushed on
past tall cliffs and the barren desert,
seeing only glimpses of hidden life
behind a rising smear of dust.
The sun was no lower when I stopped,
transfixed by its golden dance
in a dry riverbed.
"I'll drive us back," he said,
pushing my hands off the steering wheel.
"Don't you worry," he said.
"I'll drive us home."
I met his gaze, both of us
locked in the harsh half-light,
and I saw a thin flutter of confusion
spread across his face.
So, I touched his shoulder
as the distance grew between us,
and without words climbed out.
In the very act of trudging
through the forgotten dust
I raised my head and knowledge struck
through me,
knowledge as clean as the distant sky:
One day I'd come back to this place
where dead trees met in a perfect arch
over a one-lane road.
One day I'd come back, alone.
One day
I'd come back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment