Sunday, April 12, 2009

Mountains



I was a child of the quiet suburban streets
forever filled with warmth
in my memory.
On one side, the busy network of roads
pumping life to our neighborhood
and back again;
on the other side, the desert,
my desert, 
extending to the mountains
that held their secrets far above
my head.
My past is a story full of 
mistakes and regrets;
I was glad to escape elementary school,
glad to be rid of middle school,
and in all the gladness of these
necessary endings
we left that drowsy, melancholy house,
removing any attachment
that might have lifted it above
all other houses in my mind.

So I became a teenager of the city.
This house is an island of sanity
in the middle of the rainbow weavings
of cultures.  I traded
the narrow-mindedness of my birthplace
for the boundless acceptance
of my second life.
But still,
I cannot see my mountains
through the haze of dust and smog 
that falls like a widow's veil
over the land.
The sounds are harsher here, the smells
less vague, more insistent.
The song, though, is the same.
I can still hear the patient rhythm
of the earth itself, bound under buildings
and laced with concrete and roads.
And when I sit in my room
in the dead of night, the rhythm
brings me back to the days
when I lay on my stomach
and hugged the land itself to me,
staring at the purple beauty
of the sun-touched mountains
against the sky.

2 comments:

  1. I really like this - "I can still hear the patient rhythm of the earth itself" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It was a tough poem to write, I'm glad you liked it. :)

    ReplyDelete